Monday, January 17, 2011

Blog Banter: BB24 The one and only me.

Let it be understood that I have no affiliation with CrazyKinux or any of the other blog banter participants. I just happen to think that this is both an excellent topic and an excellent way to introduce myself. So here goes...

Welcome to the twenty-fourth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to crazykinux@gmail.com. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!


This month's Banter topic comes to us from the ever helpful Eelis Kiy, capsuleer behind the "Where the frack is my ship" blog. She asks: How does your real life personality compare to who you are as a character in EVE? Does a good leader of people in the real world make a good leader of pilots in game? Or vice-versa? Do your real-life skills help you with the roles you fulfill in your corporation or alliance? Or do you behave completely differently? Does the anonymity of the Internet allow you to thrive on the tears of others in New Eden whilst you work as a good Samaritan away from your keyboard? Or are you as mean outside of your pod as you are inside it? Have experiences in EVE Online affected your behavior, skills or attitudes outside of the game?


"How does your real life personality compare to who you are as a character in EVE? "

To start you off on the right foot, this is my personality type. I am an INTJ. Some of the positive highlights are:

INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms.

INTJs are strong individualists who seek new angles or novel ways of looking at things.

Hallmarks of the INTJ include independence of thought and a desire for efficiency.

Some of the negative highlights are:

Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is, for them, the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play, as INTJs can be unsparing of both themselves and the others on the project. Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect -- and will generally be made aware of this.

Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel ... This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals ... Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense.

So, what can you gather from this? I am generally an over-confident, self-righteous jerk that wants things done his way. Why? Because it is the right way, that's why. If you get between me and my perfect world, there will be murders. Obviously that is an over-dramatization (sort of). I generally keep my thoughts and feelings to myself. I will be happy to give you enough rope with-which to hang yourself, and when you do, I will use your pendulum-like still cooling corpse as a punching bag (egad!). Overall I am a dedicated and thoughtful individual. I strive very hard to be kind to others unless they have somehow earned my ire. I am a good leader and an excellent follower. This is both me in the real-world as well as me in the virtual world of New Eden. Unfortunately, as you can read from the INTJ description, I am not one for authority or other social systems. I see you as a system. You and your ideas either work or they do not. This is true both in and out of the game. To answer the question more directly; the 'me' in the game is basically the same 'me' that is out of the game.

"Does a good leader of people in the real world make a good leader of pilots in game?"


Um, no. As I have had the distinct pleasure of serving in the military I can tell you with all confidence that most of you have, most likely, never even met a good leader of men. I don't mean this to come off as condescending (as i am sure it does) it's just that if you are going to find natural leaders of men, you would expect to find them in the military. I believe that after all of my years in the military I may have only ever encountered two actual good leaders of men. Plenty of good or great managers, sure, but leaders? No. Most people never get the distinction, but it is there.

"Do your real-life skills help you with the roles you fulfill in your corporation or alliance? "

Not so much the role (n00b-in-Chief), but it does shape the way that i can contribute to the whole. Specifically with regard to PI. Man do I love PI! I love it the same way i love spending hours playing EveHQ. The reason? MATH! I can spend hours and hours on EveHQ trying to get all of the number-Tetris to come together. The same can be said for PI. If you take a number of things into account, you can turn a sad and boring PI deployment into an ISK making machine! Can you make 350-400 robotics a day? Cause I can. (Pre Incursion 1.1.0). In the end, I dig PI, I spend hours and hours perfecting the numbers and working out new theories, and then I draft all of my findings into guides and post them to the corp. In addition to this I also help corp members individually with redesigning their PI deployments for maximum efficiency. So yes, in real-life I am a geek. In Eve, I am a super digital geek.

"Does the anonymity of the Internet allow you to thrive on the tears of others in New Eden whilst you work as a good Samaritan away from your keyboard? Or are you as mean outside of your pod as you are inside it?"


If it could be believed possible, I'm actually not a particularly nice fellow out in the real world. I am fiercely kind and loving to my family and friends, but the rest of you? You can die in a fire for all I care (sorry). Now, be that as it may, I do try very hard to make sure that i put up a good front when interacting with you personally. This idea even extends itself into the cold wastes of New Eden (to a lesser degree). I can probably sum this up best with an analogy. Think of it like the evening commute home. I have no problem at all letting you merge in front of me as long as you are not acting like a jerk. If you are, then I will do everything in my power to make your life hell. If you really make me mad, it's on! I believe this is where the anonymity of the internet comes into play. In the real world, I WANT to hide in your bushes and jump out and beat you with a nail covered bat, I just DON'T. In eve, there is nothing in the world preventing me from making my way into the ol' ship MX array and jumping into each one of your ships and self-destructing them while you sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment